Through our programmes, we aim to equip young people with LLN skills for everyday life and the workplace.
Our key aims
- Help young people develop important LLN skills such as communicating well, writing accurately and solving work-based numeracy problems.
- Encourage positive attitudes towards LLN – ’everyone can improve these skills’.
At the end of their Trust journey, our young people will:
- Describe themselves as more confident in their LLN skills and recognise that with new strategies, support and hard work, they can improve these skills.
- Regard employment and education programmes which require English and maths skills as within their reach.
To support you in your mentoring role, below are some useful resources for supporting young people with reading, writing and numeracy tasks.
- Practical hints and tips to help young people with reading, writing, speaking and listening, and numeracy tasks.
- Useful online LLN resources and how to find local courses.
We've created a suite of animated videos, to help you when you're supporting a young person with their Literacy, Language and Numeracy skills on a Prince's Trust programme.
Further support for volunteers
Do you have a specific LLN question about a young person you are working with? Do you need some more support on helping a young person with writing? Or perhaps you would like to how to find your nearest literacy or numeracy course. For further help, please contact our LLN Champions at LLN@princes-trust.org.uk.
Champions are Prince's Trust staff and volunteers with an interest and passion for helping individuals develop their literacy, language and numeracy skills. All of our champions have LLN experience or expertise e.g. ex-teachers or trainers, bringing a wealth of specialist knowledge and skills to the champion network.