Student social work placements
Placements on the Team programme give student social workers first-hand experience with vulnerable young people.
A 70-day placement on Team for students bridges the gap between social care professionals and those who most need their support.
An increasing number of young people come to us with mental health and wellbeing issues, and social work students can offer one-to-one guidance with a range of personal issues while having the chance to work alongside experienced and dedicated youth workers in a supportive and collaborative environment. Students (both undergraduate and master's) will participate in the 12-week Team programme, from recruitment to the residential week, community projects, one-to-one sessions and through to supporting young people with the transition into work, education or training.
What you could be doing
- Supporting young people with emotional wellbeing, domestic abuse, housing, counselling or finances
- Developing professional working relationships with young people ine one-to-one and group work settings
- Providing information to individuals to support young people to make informed choices by signposting and suggesting specialist agencies
- Sharing your knowledge, skills and experience with our delivery partners.
What you'll get out of it
- Suitable learning opportunities for qualifying social workers to demonstrate the National Occupational Standards for Social Work
- Opportunities to develop interpersonal and communication skills in a supportive environment
- Direct working with young people on a one-to-one basis and the opportuinity to assess their wellbeing needs
- Student-focused resources and training materials
- Access to the two-day Mental Health First aid training course for all students and practice educators to support the emotional wellbeing agenda.
The Team programme
Team is a 12-week personal development programme for 16 to 25-year-olds who are unemployed or educational underachievers, with a particular focus on those with an offending background, care leavers, single parents, those with disabilities and refugees and asylum seekers. Read more about the Team programme here.
University of Central Lancashire
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about placements in your area.