Help for Heroes partnership
Our fantastic partnership with Help for Heroes began in September 2010.
Each year around 30 wounded, injured or sick tri-service personnel take up an opportunity with The Prince's Trust.
To date, Help for Heroes has awarded £537,755 enabling over 130 wounded, injured or sick tri-service personnel to access secondments on the Team programme across the UK.
Do you want to work in a challenging and rewarding environment?
Working with young people can be demanding but it is also your chance to lead, inspire and motivate them to achieve more than they think they can. The Prince’s Trust runs the Team programme, a 12-week personal development programme for disadvantaged 16 to 25-year-olds, which is an ideal opportunity for you to develop your skills, experience and expertise to improve the lives of young people.
Help for Heroes provides funding for these placements if you are WIS and are still serving, transitioning out of service or a veteran – all arms, all ranks and all ages:
- Develop your leadership style and communication skills
- Experience a new way of working
- Experience a different working environment
- Improve your ability to break down barriers with young people
- Support a programme that positively changes young people's lives across the UK
- Gain an understanding of and ease progression into a civilian work environment.
Bryn Parry, CEO and Co-Founder of Help for Heroes
How does it work?
If you are serving or transitioning out of service:
- You can be seconded for approximately 20 days of the 12-week programme in a flexible arrangement that can fit around your existing commitments
- You can be seconded as an Assistant Team Leader for the whole 12-week programme, a commitment that requires you to be available for the duration.
A DIN is in place that we can use to secure your chain-of-command approval. As well as being a fantastic opportunity, the skills you will develop on the programme will enhance your opportunities for promotion, or open up better civilian employment opportunities for you.
If you are a WIS veteran:
- You can volunteer for approximately 20 days of the 12-week programme in a flexible arrangement so you can attend at a pace and frequency that suits you
- You can apply for a paid position as an Assistant Team Leader for the whole 12-week programme, a commitment that requires you to be available for the duration.
Help for Heroes funding is available to support your return to full-time, independent employment, this includes gaining qualifications such as the nationally recognised ‘Award in Education and Teaching’, and The Prince’s Trust certified ‘Team Leader Training’. If you complete a placement as an Assistant Team Leader, there is also the opportunity to progress to employment as a Team Leader.
Martina Milburn CBE, The Prince’s Trust Chief Executive
What will you be doing?
- Motivating and inspiring young people to achieve more than they think they can
- Supporting the Team Leader to plan and deliver activities
- Acting as a role model and promoting teamwork
- Encouraging young people to complete their qualifications
- Boosting their confidence and self-esteem
Justin King, Help for Heroes
Apply for a placement
Contact Philippa Clare, our Help for Heroes Partnership Manager, on 07940 725500
If you are currently serving and not WIS, visit our Military partnership page to find out how you can still benefit from a Team programme secondment.
If you are transitioning out of service, not yet over 30 years old and interested in starting your own business, find out how The Prince's Trust can support you through the Enterprise programme.