The mission of Women Supporting Women is simple: to provide the right help to nurture, empower and inspire young women to build a better future for themselves.
We know from our research and from our many interactions with young women that they need our support in particular and suffer some challenges more acutely than young men. For instance:
- This year’s findings from our annual Youth Index research suggest that young women are more likely than young men to have experienced a decline in their wellbeing and to feel worried about their future prospects.
- A quarter of young women (26 per cent) say they will never recover from the emotional impact of the pandemic, compared to 19 per cent of young men1.
- A third of young women (34 per cent) don’t feel in control of their life, compared to 28 per cent of young men1.
- A study of Generation Z’s mental health from the Educational Policy Institute and The Prince’s Trust found that although Generation Z girls have similar levels of wellbeing and self-esteem as boys by the end of primary school, they then experience a sudden decline in both by age 14. Their wellbeing falls even lower towards the end of their teenage years, while their depressive symptoms increase significantly.
For those young women who were already vulnerable before the pandemic - facing issues such as long-term unemployment, mental health issues, challenges at home or at school, or even homelessness - they see no way out. You can help them change their lives for the better by joining Women Supporting Women in one or more of the following three ways:
- You can give personally through a bespoke, individual relationship with The Prince’s Trust. Many supporters typically commit gifts over three to four years.
- You can give through a company, working with us to create a tailor-made partnership, volunteering opportunities for your staff and potential product collaborations.
- You can fundraise in all sorts of ways, such as by taking part in one of our challenge events such as our Palace to Palace bike ride or walk, hosting a Brilliant Breakfast, shopping with our partner brands to Change A Girl's Life, throwing a dinner party or organising a group challenge such as a trek or mountain climb.
Chrissie Rucker OBE, Founder, The White Company & Founding Gold Patron of Women Supporting Women
By joining Women Supporting Women and our #ChangeAGirlsLife campaign, you can help to ensure that young women’s futures are not predetermined by circumstance.
In the 45+ years since it was founded, The Prince’s Trust has built expertise in supporting those from disadvantaged communities and those facing the greatest adversity by helping them to build the confidence and skills to live, learn and earn.
Our tailored programmes and long-term support enables young women to develop the practical skills and emotional resilience to build a positive future for themselves, no matter what barriers they may be facing. We also know that by helping young women today, the benefits for them, their communities and the wider economy will be felt for years to come.
We want to raise £10 million over the next five years which will make it possible to change the lives of thousands more incredible young women.
We passionately believe that all young women deserve the chance to succeed and very much hope that you will join us in our mission. If you would like to find out more about Women Supporting Women and how you can invest in The Trust’s work, please contact Gemma Craggs on Gemma.Craggs@princes-trust.org.uk or 020 7543 1299
Women Supporting Women was recently featured in Good Housekeeping magazine. Read the article to hear about how rewarding mentoring was for three Trust-supported entrepreneurs and their mentors.