Gain the skills you need for the job you want
We're here to support you in gaining the confidence and skills you need in your job search and in the first few weeks of your new role.
- Module 1: All About You
- Module 2: Which Job is Right for You?
- Module 3: Personal Skills
- Module 4: Applying for Jobs
- Module 5: Interviews and Assessments
Let’s take some time now to learn more about your skills, strengths, motivations and where you see yourself in the future.
In this module you will:
- Identify what motivates you
- Learn how to build your confidence
- Set short term and long term goals
- How to be your best by BBC Apprentice winner Mark Wright, YouTube video
- Building confidence with Celebrity Ambassadors Tom and Giovanna Fletcher, YouTube video
- The Secret of Confidence: If you want to take control and perform to your potential, this is the place for you. Welcome to The Performance Room. This is the place where you can learn how to perform, whatever your role, whatever your arena. Where you can be the best version of yourself, any day you choose and when it matters most. Links to external website.
- Building Confidence: Additional content from The Performance Room. Links to external website.
Finding a job that’s the right fit can be challenging! Use our Career Radar tool to find out which jobs match your skills and interests and learn more about popular jobs by exploring our sector guides.
Once you have explored some jobs and seen where your skills are suited, it's time to start planning. Fill out a quick action plan, so you can start making a plan to get where you want to be.
- Hospitality (pdf, 509kb)
- Logistics (pdf, 573kb)
- Engineering (pdf, 461kb)
- Retail (pdf, 438kb)
- Construction (pdf, 665kb)
- Care (pdf, 403kb)
What is your plan?
Your values and skills make up who you are. Complete the activities in this module to build the skills employers want and understand how to use these skills to help you secure a job.
We surveyed a group of employers to find out what they wanted applicants to have. Previous work experience and good qualifications from school were NOT top of the list. Here are the things they really want from you.
When you're applying for a job, it can be hard to know if you have the right skills. There are lots of things employers want you to have and often these are not qualifications or relevant experience. Here are some of the top skills employers are looking for - which ones do you have?
Managing Feelings, Being Resiliant
- Communication Overview worksheet (docx, 24kb)
- Written Communication worksheet (pdf, 51kb)
- Structuring your Writing worksheet (docx, 48kb)
- Spoken Communication worksheet (pdf, 41kb)
- Spoken Communication worksheet (docx, 26kb)
- Listening Properly worksheet (pdf, 179kb)
- Questioning Well worksheet (pdf, 43kb)
Your values and skills make up who you are. Finding a job that fits in with what you like and what you’re good at will help you to succeed in your career.
This module will help you use your skills and values to stand out in your job applications, CV and cover letter, as well as how social media can help you get a job. And once you have done all of this why not check out our Get Hired Jobs Board?
- Your Skills and Experiences worksheet (pdf, 667kb)
- Turning your Responsibilities into Experiences (pdf, 592kb)
- Applications Explained worksheet (pdf, 142kb)
- Applications Template worksheet (pdf, 1mb)
- Applications Checklist worksheet (pdf, 129kb)
So, you’ve applied for a job and employers are interested in you. What’s next?
Yes, it’s time for the interview. Don’t panic! Use the tools in this module to help you prepare for interviews and then practice with your mentor.
Preparing for Interviews and Assessments
- How to ace a job interview by BBC Apprentice winner Mark Wright, YouTube video
- Interview Styles worksheet (docx, 24kb)