Get funding to train, learn or help get a job
Our awards remove the financial barriers preventing you from taking the next step into work, education or training.
Our awards can be used to buy uniforms to get you started at work.
How it works
Our Development Awards can help to cover costs such as: course fees, transport or equipment to help you achieve your plan to get into education, training or employment. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can receive up to £500.
Who can apply?
You may be eligible if you are a UK resident and are:
- Aged 14-17, and do not have/are not expecting to achieve 5 GCSEs grades A-C (or equivalent), or
- Aged 17-25 and unemployed or working fewer than 16 hours a week, or in education fewer than 14 hours a week
Be aware that there is a criteria of how the money can and can’t be spent. Here are some examples:
Development Awards can be used to help fund:
- Costs up to £500
- Tools or equipment for a job or qualification e.g. hairdressing kit, carpentry tools, chef whites
- Course fees
- Interview clothes
- License fees e.g. CSCS card (construction) or SIA license (security)
- Childcare costs to help single parents access short term education
- Transport to a new job until first pay cheque
Development Awards can’t be used to fund:
- Living expenses e.g. rent or bills
- Costs for things that have already been paid for
- Gap year or overseas projects
- Community projects
- Medical treatment
- Fees for courses higher than Level 3, e.g. NVQ Level 4, HNC, HND, Degree or post-grad courses
- Business start ups (If you're interested in starting your own business, see our Enterprise programme)
If you meet our criteria, all you need to do is get in touch and tell us a bit about yourself and how the award would be used. If you're eligible, you’ll be invited to discuss making an application before a final decision is made. The whole process can take up to six weeks, although it may be quicker, but we recommend getting in touch with us sooner rather than later.