Development Awards are
cash grants of up to £500* to
help young people get into education, training or
*Award averages vary locally according to funding (please
regional offices for more information)
If you're looking for funding to start your own business,
please visit our Enterprise programme
Who can apply?
- Aged 14-16 and not expecting to achieve five
GCSEs (or equivalent) grades A-C
- Aged 16-25 and not in education, training or
How does it work?
Eligible young people are invited to meet face to face with a
Prince’s Trust Awards Assessor to discuss their Award and to fill
out an application which will then be sent to a Prince’s Trust
Awards panel for a decision. The whole process can take up to 6
weeks so applications should be made well in advance, if
Examples what can be funded include:
- tools or equipment for a job or qualification e.g. hairdressing
kit, carpentry tools, chef's whites
- course fees
- interview clothes
- license fees e.g. CSCS card (construction) or SIA license
- childcare costs to help single parents access short term
- transport to a new job until first pay cheque
The following cannot be funded:
- retrospective grants
- gap year or overseas projects
- medical treatment
- course fees that are far above the £500 funding limit
- costs associated with NVQ Level 4, HNC, HND, degree or
post-grad courses or courses of an equivalent level
- Business Start Ups (If you're interested in starting your own
business, please see our Enterprise programme)
What do I need to do next?
Get in touch with The Prince's Trust and try to answer these
- What do you need the funding for?
- How much money do you need?
- Have you looked into other possible sources of funding?
- Will the funding help you into education, training or
How to apply:
- Fill out the online
- Speak to someone about all Prince’s Trust programmes and any
general enquiries by calling 0800 842842
- Find out what’s happening in your
- Alternatively, text “Call Me” to 07983
- Over 6,500 young people received a Development Award last
- 80% of Award recipients are in sustained employment, education
or training (measured three months post Award)
Ready to apply?
Are you interested in applying for one of our programmes?